NOTABLE EVENTS OF 1966
- Medicare begins July 1
- Supreme court decides Miranda vs. Arizona
- First Start Trek episode aired September 8
- CBS decides not to show Psycho (too violent)
- The Food and Drug Administration declares "the Pill" safe for human use.
- The Monkees premiers
- Batman premiers
- That Girl premiers
- Frank Sinatra (50) marries Mia Farrow (21)
- The Beatles held their last public concert in San Francisco
- Dow Jones hits a record of 995
- NFL and AFL merger
- NOW founded
- Ronald Regan elected governor of California
- “Old” Busch Stadium opens in St. Louis
- Ground breaking took place for the World Trace Center in New York
- Russian spacecraft (Luna 9) makes the first landing on the moon
- Braves move from Milwaukee to Atlanta
- Laugh-In premiered
If you were hungry in 1966, depending where you were in the country, you could have stopped at:
Domino’s Hardee’s Taco Bell
MacDonald’s Arby’s TGI Fridays
KFC Denny’s Dunkin Donuts
Burger King IHOP Pizza Hut
Little Caesar’s Sbarro Baskin Robbins
Dairy Queen Big Boy Krispy Kreme
Blimpie White Castle Jack in the Box
Orange Julius Karmelkorn A&W
You could not
have stopped at the following as they had not opened yet:
Wendy’s Red Robin Taco John’s
Starbucks Popeyes Long John Silver’s
Subway Chili’s Chuck E. Cheese
Applebee’s Fuddruckers Olive Garden
Hooters Outback TCBY
Papjohn’s Godfather’s Buffalo Wild Wings
Red Lobster Quizno’s
BORN IN 1966
The following people were born in 1966:
FUN FACTS ABOUT 1948 & 1966
||Helena Bonham Carter
|Doug E. Fresh
|C. Thomas Howell
|Mary Stewart Masterson
|Robin Wright Penn
- The Olympics were held in London...as they will be in 2012.
- Notable names we lost in 1948 included Joe Louis, Babe Ruth, Mahatma Gahndi, Orville Wright
- Selective Service (the Draft) was started.
- Scrabble was introduced.
- NBC TV broadcast its first nightly newscast.
- WGN-TV in Chicago started broadcasting.
- The following people were born in 1948: Kenny Loggins, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Irons, John Ritter, Kathy Bates, Barbara Hershey, Billy Crystal, Olivia Newton-John, Stevie Nicks, Rhea Perlman, Bernadette , Peters, Phylicia Rashad, George Wendt, Ozzy Osbourne, Kate Jackson, Georgia Engel, Marcia Strassman, EmmyLou Harris, Lewis Black, Alice Cooper, Teller (of Penn and Teller), Jerry Mathers, Fred Grandy, James Taylor, Al Gore, Donna Karan, Robert Plant, Donna Summer, Richard Simmons, Tina Sinatra, Ina Garten Prince Charles.
- The WHO (World Health Organization) was founded by the UN.
- The first Polaroid camera was sold in the US.
- Korczak Ziolkowski (1908-1982), a self-taught sculptor, began blasting a figure of Crazy Horse into rock in the Black Hills of South Dakota.
- New York’s Idlewild Airport opened.It was renamed Kennedy Airport in the 60’s.
- Allen Funt’s “Candid Microphone” (later became “Candid Camera”) debuted.
- Manpower was founded by 2 Milwaukee lawyers unable to fund administrative help for an urgent brief.
- Ronald Reagan was elected governor of California.
- Music artists who had their first hit in 1966 included The Monkees, The Association, Neil Diamond, the Mamas and Papas, Tommy James and the Shondells, and B.J. Thomas.
- Notable names we lost in 1966 included Walt Disney, Lenny Bruce, Bobby Fuller, Sophie Tucker, Buster Keaton, Ed Wynn, Clifton Webb and S.S. Kresge.
- The Beatles went on tour for the last time. Their last public concert was on August 29th, at San Francisco’s Candlestick Park.
- Introductions in 1966 included the Oldsmobile Tornado, - Motor Trend’s Car of the Year, Coke introduced ‘Fresca’ and Milton Bradley brought out the great party game ‘Twister’.
- Medicare begins (July 1).
- CBS backs out of plans to broadcast Psycho, deeming the movie too violent for at-home viewing.
- The Food and Drug Administration declares "The Pill" safe for human use.
- The US Supreme Court rules in the Miranda case that police must inform suspects of their rights before questioning them.
- US cigarette packs began carrying the warning: "Caution! Cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health."